Thursday, May 19, 2011

"What is a man?...

 .....A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"
                 - Dracula (Castlevania Symphony of the Night)
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MM_Q0nfaG0
Awesome piano tune.

So, one of my many back burner projects is the creation of a mega dungeon. A mega dungeon heavily inspired by Dracula's castle from the SNES game Super Castlevania 4 and Castle Ravenloft, with a good measure of my own stuff thrown in there.

As soon as I stop being lazy and actually unpack my scaner I can post some digrams and sketches I have come up with -boy do I love maps.

So for those of you who may be unfamiliar with the Castlevania game series I will tell you why it is cool. Well it pretty much is just cool, particularly the early stuff, before it got all melodramatic and Japanese rpg style soap opera all up in there. Its basically just a rad story about a guy with a whip fighting his through a castle to get to Dracula.

As a young kid playing snes I made up an imaginary rip-off castle based on Castlevania (the literal name of Dracula's castle), I named my version "Losh Nekkar"- im not sure why. I pretended Losh Nekkar was in the woods on the other side of a swamp  just down the street from my house.  Anyway though, I'm naming this mega dungeon Losh Nekkar,and this will be the first in a series of posts about the place. Theres actually quite alot to tell. Not sure where to start.

More on this later...

5 comments:

  1. Cool music. Never played Castlevania before. I guess I was sleeping at the time? I probably don't have a good excuse. Sounds like a cool idea, though.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Castlevania was, along with the Church in Diablo, one of the big influences on my own Nightwick Abbey.

    I can't wait to see where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I am pretty jazzed about this at the moment, I will try to get those pictures up shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never played Castlevania, but I've seen artwork that has a lot of atmosphere. Looking forward further installments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also looking forward to this. I had forgotten about the game, but since you wrote about it, I've been having a hard time getting it out of my mind!

    ReplyDelete