Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pathfinder Beginner Box + Girlfriend

So I finally got the Beginner Box. It's like 40 bucks - pretty sweet deal I think. Got it from my local Indigo bookstore.  So I got it and brought it back to my place and opened it up with my girlfriend. The very first thing you see when you pull the lid off is a page asking you what your situation is-
  1. You are alone but you wanna play RIGHT NOW- without reading any rules- Heroes handbook page 2.
  2. You want to be a hero? Read the Heroes handbook and pick one of the 4 premade character sheets.
  3. You want to be a Hero but want to make your own character- Heroes handbook page 10.
  4. Wanna be a DUNGEON MASTER? page 2 of DM guide is a premade adventure- grab friends and start playing right now.
The solo adventure and the premade group adventure are all set up so you wont need to look up any rules or anything ahead of time. Which is really cool. I have found that the biggest obstacle to get new players into Pathfinder is all the painful pregame stuff- especially character creation. Someone who has never played before has absolutely no concept of what skill points are and such- its kind of ridiculous to ask a new player to go through all that before they even have an idea how to play.

Anyways, I open the box up with my girlfriend and immediately reach for the DM guide, but my gf stops me and asks if she can be the DM. I was super thrilled with the idea, I love DMing, but its no secret that I want to play once in a while. My gf has played D&D in several of its forms with my for several years, but she has never DMed before. This was the perfect way for her to break into it. We both had a blast, can't wait to do it again.

And a little blurb about my girlfriend- She is super cute and pretty and smart. I have no idea why she would ever want to be with a dude like me, I am crazy lucky and I love her madly. I am so happy I get to have a cool beautiful lady to play D&D and share my life with. It is our 5 year anniversary today- best 5 years of my life. I love you baby.

3 comments:

  1. I can't see Pathfinder as my go-to game, but the beginner box is well done, and a great deal for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been blown away by how easy it makes it for new players. Thanks for stoppin by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being OGL I could see a little community springing up around the box. It's the only thing I have looked over that would be considered 'modern' that has caught my attention.

    I'm doing an office reset at the moment but is on my stack to go back over again.

    ReplyDelete